Monday, March 26, 2012

Beware Beacon Hill's charge of tax-and-spenders' brigade....

To paraphrase Alfred, Lord Tennyson: In the spring, Beacon Hill's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of taxes. So remember his other words, "I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair."

The action is simple: Let legislators know that, come fall, we'll vote against anyone who increases the Massachusetts tax burden, which is already fourth-highest per capita in the nation.

I appreciate that Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo has said there will be no new taxes this year and has stated his opposition to Gov. Deval Patrick's proposal to tax candy and soda. The speaker has earned some credibility from Massachusetts citizens because of his support for public employee health care and pension reforms. I think he is sincere in his "no new taxes" message.

No comments:

Post a Comment